Home

by Creative Junkie on October 29, 2010

Eleven days have passed since I flew down to North Carolina to stay with my mother after my father suffered a stroke.

Today:

My father is in the critical care unit of the hospital in North Carolina, learning how to become stronger.

My mother is at their home, learning how to balance a checkbook and send an email.

My brother is with her, learning how to avoid the dining rooms chairs after having one collapse from under him last night while we were talking on the phone.

And I am back home in New York, learning how the washer and dryer are figments of my husband’s and kids’ imagination.

October 29, 2010 at 10:35 am

I admit it. I laughed at that picture. But you wanted me to, or you wouldn’t have posted it, right? And I laughed in empathy. Sympathy, even – I have a similar mountain in my bedroom, though no cute little Ollie posing at its summit.

I’m glad your dad is doing better. Lunch next week if you can dig your way out of Mt. Laundry?
Heather @ nobody-but-yourself recently posted..One way to cure the blahsMy Profile

Kearsie
Twitter: kearsie
October 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

Well I can see how it’d be confusing. I mean, that thing on top with the ears definitely looks delicate cycle or dry clean only. So confusing.

Also, on a seriousy note, I’m so glad your dad is ok!!

Barb
Twitter: barbhogan
October 29, 2010 at 10:47 am

That photo is CLASSIC! I’m glad to hear that your dad is on the mend. Thinking of you :)
Barb recently posted..More Dallas ObservationsMy Profile

stacey@Havoc&Mayhem October 29, 2010 at 11:16 am

OMG! The least they could do was toss the clothes in the washer. I can see that running it would be asking too much but gosh, it’s just as easy to throw the stuff in the open washer as it is on the floor.
stacey@Havoc&Mayhem recently posted..Defining momentsMy Profile

Allison
Twitter: Allie_23
October 29, 2010 at 11:46 am

You poor, poor thing no one should have that much laundry to do. BUT that pic was funny and cute as hell! Glad you made it home safely!
Allison recently posted..Winner- Winner- Chicken Dinner!My Profile

Dot Winchell October 29, 2010 at 11:54 am

I’d go bubonic on their asses.

Oliver: “See Mum, pooping on the floor can’t be as bad as this mess? And I’m way cuter…”

Creative Junkie October 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

I swear to God, Dot … that’s *exactly* what I was thinking about when I snapped this – how I would actually rather clean up poop behind the couch than tackle this monstrosity.

Dot Winchell October 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Which begs the question, that I’m almost afraid to ask, there weren’t petrified turds all over the house, were there?

Creative Junkie October 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm

No, which may very well be the reason that I did not kick them all in their shins.

Janmary, N Ireland
Twitter: Janmary3
October 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Ahhhhh…..Home Sweet Home :)

Welcome home – at least you know thru missed ONE of your talents!

LisaE October 29, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I laughed too and then I got mad. I think I’d put all those clothes in garbage bags and haul them to the dump. Let them buy new stuff! (Ok, I don’t know how old your kids are so that would be harsh if they are too young to do laundry but if not…)
LisaE recently posted..Project 365 – Aug SeptMy Profile

Nicole October 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm

First, I’m so glad your dad is doing better! Will keep the good karma and well wishes flowing.

Second, OMG…how cute is Oliver playing King of the Laundry Mound? LMAO That photo is cute (but only because it’s not MY laundry room….not that I have one, but…well, you know…)

Third, make them the wear their stinky ass dirty laundry until they figure out how to wash it themselves…by hand! Go On Strike!

Ashley October 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Oliver: “Where the hell did my Bills jersey go?”

October 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

O.M.G. Ok, the husband brings in some cash. But sorry, the girls need to learn how to do laundry and help out the family. That is ridiculous. And how inconsiderate of them, considering where you’ve been lately, how much emotional shit you’ve been going through, and how tired you must be. Hmm, that would be me fuming, then.

But just sayin’… I’d go on strike, if I were you. And I dunno, but Oliver looks guilty, up there.
Heather T. recently posted..Pure Delight!My Profile

Claire Gutschow October 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Is that Ollie’s crate I see peeping out from below the mound of laundry? The poor little guy probably had to dig his way out of bed every morning! No wonder he looks so proud of himself, he feels like he just summited Everest!

Good luck with the laundry. And the ironing – my WORST. I iron twice a year. Seriously, there are things in our ironing pile that my husband hasn’t seen since last winter. I figure if he wanted to wear them that badly he’d iron them himself.

Good luck, and thinking of you. Oh, and sending get well wishes to all of you…
Claire Gutschow recently posted..Sometimes the littlest people teach you the biggest lessonsMy Profile

Jill October 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm

So sorry to hear about your Dad :( Hope he is stable. Rehab can be a long road..
And your little doggie is mocking you, by the way.
Jill recently posted..Be Sure to Mark Your Successes With AnxietyMy Profile

Paula
Twitter: frostedfingers
October 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Eeek!! Sorry you had to come home to that! Glad Dad’s getting better.
Paula recently posted..Apple Glazed Pork ChopsMy Profile

Tammy October 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Ai yi yi – I’m thinking you need to train Oliver to do the laundry!
Tammy recently posted..Give Hope With Every CupMy Profile

tracy October 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I’d sort their clothes, put them all back in their bedrooms in a pile and let them do it themselves.
Nahh, I’d probably do it, who am I kidding.
tracy recently posted..I found a surpriseMy Profile

Blommi
Twitter: TwiMommi
October 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Oliver seems to think he is king of the mountain.

I think it might be time to invest in a riding crop & whip that family of yours into line ;)
Blommi recently posted..Off to the Halloween PartyMy Profile

esther_a October 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Oliver is the icing on the cake here! That photo is so funny and SO tragic.
And I would TOTALLY NOT be washing any of those clothes. Their owners are lucky to have unbruised asses!

Sarah
Twitter: shopinpjs
October 29, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Time may wait for no one, but laundry is obviously a bit more patient.
Sarah recently posted..Monsters- Eek!My Profile

Stan October 29, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Size of the pile of laundry = how much your family missed you.

Or they’re just incompetent twits.

Could be either- hard to judge from this distance.

(continued prayers for Dad, Mom, Tino and you guys)

Stan at Scrappers Workshop
Stan recently posted..Get better Halloween pictures to scrapbook – Foto FridayMy Profile

Granny Sue October 30, 2010 at 12:27 am

I can’t believe they didn’t do any laundry!!
WOW. Everyone should know how and all should help with doing it.
Do you want me to come over and teach them?
So sorry had I known I would have got after all of them.
You really did NOT have to come home to this!

nicóle October 30, 2010 at 1:16 am

What…The…FraggleRock!

Oh sweetie! You need a vacation!

Davinia October 30, 2010 at 3:10 am

So glad your dad is slowly on the mend. I think I would have cried and fallen in a heap if I’d come home to that. Just fold it all up and put it on their beds and pretend it’s been washed, is my advice. Oliver is the cutest!
Davinia recently posted..Bling Rings and ThingsMy Profile

Ann Adams October 30, 2010 at 8:26 am

Need to give lessons in washing clothes! Have each person do there own! Aunt Karen has Jeffrey and Jeff do own laundry! She gave up!!!!!Miss you,when you get a chance call me! I know you are busy!!!!!!!

TRICIA @ nightowlmama
Twitter: Nightowlmama
October 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm

UGH!! that looks like my laundry room!
TRICIA @ nightowlmama recently posted..Winners Announced and a Daily Vote NeededMy Profile

Dee Thompson October 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yikes. Reminds me of once when my mother was sick with pneumonia and my father stuffed all the laundry in the washer, unwashed, then when I came over he casually asked if I’d run it through. LOL

I’d make those kids of yours do every bit of that laundry. My kids must do all their own laundry and have been doing it for years I do NOT do kid laundry. This saves my sanity. We wash everything on cold so that makes it easier. My son has one hand and he STILL has to do all his own laundry, plus fold it and put it away. If he gives me any trouble I start taking away computer time, iPod, Games, etc.

Tell your mom to send an email to my mom – they’re in the same age bracket, and my mother nursed dad through cancer and had to suddenly learn to balance the checkbook and all that. My mom sends out funnies all the time and has a close circle of computer friends – elvathompson@bellsouth.net. She also has a blog your mom might like – http://elvasbookreviews.blogspot.com/ — BTW, it’s not book reviews, that’s just what she thought it would be when she started. It’s all kinds of stuff now.

Praying for your dad to get better, and for your mom. You hang in there, too.

Dee
Dee Thompson recently posted..Jobs and JeopardyMy Profile

RJFerret
Twitter: RJFerret
October 30, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Phew! That was close. They ALMOST had to push the start button on the washing machine. Glad your father’s doing well enough that you were able to get home and save them from that potential catastrophe!

Doc Campbell October 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Amy Sue-

First, I’m glad to hear your dad is on the mend. That can be a tough battle sometimes, but I figure you got your stubborn streak from someone… if it was him, he’ll be on his feet in no time!

As for your family… I think Davinia’s idea is the best (although some thrashing about the head and shoulders of each and every one of them DOES have some appeal). Fold all that stinky stuff up, nice and neat, and put it away like it was ready to wear. As soon as one of them makes the (hopefully, not fatal) mistake of saying something about it, show them the photo, and smile sweetly.
Then tell them they’re lucky you folded it. You were tempted to feed it to them!

I think I still have a couple of old baseball bats out in the barn. If you like, I’d UPS on to ya!
Just let me know how many nails you want me to put in the business end of it.

Jill/Twipply Skwood October 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Such good news on your dad! Greatest sympathy on the laundry situation. Although, the puppy on top does make it look cute!
Jill/Twipply Skwood recently posted..If the Obamas Call Again- Tell Them Im Not HomeMy Profile

Joy (Wingnut) November 2, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Andy, please don’t hate me. I can’t help myself. That pile of laundry is so worth getting the pic of Ollie on top of it!!!!
Joy (Wingnut) recently posted..SiblingsMy Profile

Kasey@AllThingsMamma
Twitter: allthingsmamma
November 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

That is some pile of laundry! haha! Love the puppy on top the most!
Kasey@AllThingsMamma recently posted..2010 All Things Mamma’s Holiday Gift GuideMy Profile

Donna in West Aus November 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Glad to hear your Dad is on the mend. Still sending positive vibes your way tho’ … looks like you need them with all that laundry to do!!

Ollie looks like he’s trying to say “But I told them to do it and they didn’t listen!!”